church belongs to the Laugaland benefice of the Eyjafiord deanery.
The vague sources concerning this church site lead to believe
that a church was built there shortly after the acceptance of
Christianity. A monastery
of the Benedictine Order was established there in 1155 and was
abolished, when the nation was reformed in 1550.
The present church was built of wood in 1844 and seats 160
people. An altarpiece of
alabaster (1425) decorated the former churches.
It was sold to the National Museum of Denmark, when the new
church was completed. The
outside of the church has been restored considerably and a vestry was
built on the premises.
North Iceland Saga Trail