Skuli Magnusson spent a part of his working life as a magistrate of
the Skagafjordur district. He lived at Storu Akrar. The
farm was built during the years 1743-45, and still remaining are two
houses comprising the main entrance and a living room. They are
connected by a bent corridor behind the houses.
The living room was used as a court and for important meetings and
assemblies. As a rule, living rooms did not face the pavement in
front of the farm houses, but this one does. It, however, does
not have its private entrance as before. Many of the wooden
boards used for the construction of the present houses date a long way
back to earlier houses. The two houses have been in the care of
the National Museum since 1954 and have undergone restoration and
maintenance during the period.
The community centre Hedinsminni is located at Storu Akrar. It
was inaugurated in 1921 and used for social gatherings, meetings, from
the beginning, and as a post, telephone and telegraph office and a
school after 1954.
One of the country's well known poets, Bolu-Hjalmar lived at Minni
Akrar for 27 years before he was driven away to the farm Grundargerdi
In earlier times, to the year 1930, the glacial river Heradsvotn were
crossed in a ferry near the Akrar farms.
Akratorfa is a complex of farmhouses in the Blonduhlid county, at the
foot of Mt Akrafjall (1147 m).
North Iceland Saga Trail