is the larges town on the East Coast with 1500-2000 in habitants.
It is beautifully situated on a sheltered bay, surrounded by
majestic mountains. The town
is divided by a river, which runs through the so-called Valley of Flowers,
where nature lovers spend a long time to get acquainted with the arctic
flora. On the highest point
in the town is a cairn, which was built there to commemorate
the 50th anniversary of the town in 1944. This
point offers quite a nice view over the town and its surroundings.
wooden houses are very prominent in Angmagssalik like other Greenlandic
towns. It is very common,
that many generations live under the same roof and to see the sledge dogs
tied outside. Among the
largest houses in town are the city hall and the hospital.
The Greenlandic Stamp Collection is in the centre.
The octagonal church was built in 1985 and was decorated by the
Greenlandic artist Aka Hoegh.