former hamlet Haganesvik in the Fljot County is situated on a synonymous
cove. The old main route
passed through there along the shoreline and logically a service and a
trading centre developed there. It
became a certified trading post in 1897.
Prior to that, two merchants had been trading from the farms
Hraun and Yzti-Moi from 1879 and 1890 respectively.
The county people, however, preferred trading in the villages
Siglufiord and Hofsos and mostly purchased their necessities there.
The merchant at Hraun moved his post to Haganesvik and shortly
afterwards the Grana Society took over the business.
It founded the Co-operative Society of Fljot, which did not last
very long, and another co-operative took over in 1919.
It built warehouses, an abattoir and a freezing plant.
The harbour conditions are to say the least unsafe as the harbour
faces the open sea. It only
accommodated small vessels, preferably small enough to be pulled out of
collection started at Haganesvik in 1896 and in 1929 a post office was
opened. A telephony and
telegraph station started operations in 1910.
A cultural community centre was built there and a guesthouse was
operated for a while. A
chess society was founded in 1930.
It developed into a debating society, which eventually became a
youth society. The lowest
lying areas down by the sea always have had the most difficult snow
conditions during winter. Therefore
people started looking for easier transport routes higher up and
eventually a new road was built further south, where it is now.
The present service centre of the county is now situated on the
crossroads leading to the fishing town Siglufiord and through the pass
Lagheidi to the town Olafsfiord. The
only remaining activity in the abandoned hamlet is the freezing plant.
2006, the tunnelling project Hedinsfjardar-tunnel
(Siglufjordur-Olafsfjordur) was officially started.
2008 the tunnelling is still being continued, Hedinsfjardar-tunnel
was opened for public 2nd of October 2010