in the estuaries of River Eyjafjardara, constructed in
1955, originally had a gravel runway, which was paved in 1967.
Prior to its construction, the airstrip at
Melgerdismelar further to the south in Valley Eyjafjardardalur was
used and amphibious planes landed on the head of the Eyjafjordur Bay
(Pollurinn). Scheduled flights between Reykjavik and Akureyri
began in 1937. From Akureyri connecting
flights to other towns in the Northwest, North and East are offered.
Akureyri Airport is a centre for ambulance flights in the North and
East. Taxis are
available in front of the terminal building. Practically all
taxis take credit cards. The airport is 3 km from