northernmost farm of the Strandir District was situated on this cove.
Its northern boundaries co-inside with the district boundaries of
Strandir and The Northern Isafiord District.
The southern boundaries of the property follow River North
abandoned farm (1947) stood at the foot of Mt Geirolfsgnupur on the
shallow Skjoldur Cove and its houses have collapsed.
Valley Sunnudalur lies to the south of the Skjaldarbjarnarvik
cove and Mt Rond separates it from the Bjarnarfiord Bay. The group of mounds called Thufur is situated on a headland,
which actually belongs to the mountainís foothills. The legend tells us, that the first settler, Skjaldar-Bjorn,
lies buried in one of the mounds, his dog in another one, and his ship
decorated with its shields, in the third one.
Skaufasel summer pastures and its ruins are situated opposite to the
Meyjarsel summer pastures on the Drangar farm property.
At Skaufasel a long abandoned farm probably stood before the
farmer started using the area for grazings.
Two magic stones from this area have been preserved, a sea-navel
and a wishing stone. Such
stones were believed to contain divine powers.
The cove is rather wide and its lowland area is well vegetated.
A ruin of a stone hut was found on one of the ledges of Mt
Geirolfsgnupur. It lends
the story of Mountain Eyvind credibility.
He was an 18th century outlaw, who stayed there for a
while with the consent of the farmer (probably Hallvardur Hallsson;