is a short and a wide bay facing the open ocean on the boundaries
between Hornstrandir and Strandir.
Its western part is within the Hornstrandir Nature Reserve and Mt
Ernir extends to the Drangsnes peninsula.
Further inland is Mt Bolungarvikurbjarg and down below the dyke
Bolungarvikurofaera stretches into the sea.
On the eastern side of the bay Mt Furufjardarnupur decorates the
landscape and on the other side is the Tharalatursfiord Bay.
One of the two cliff points of Mt Furufjardarnupur has a hole
through and is called the Pitcher.
The other cliff is called the Ogre, who was petrified there at
daybreak, when travelling there too late with the pitcher in her hand.
Her husband was caught by the first rays of the sun at Drangsnes
and his boat is clearly visible in the rocks just off the coast.
Travellers, who wanted to pass along Mt Furufjardarnupur had to
wait for the lowest tides and calm weather.
The cove Saltvik is further inland and the boulder scree
Saltvikururd and the dyke mentioned above are between it and the
mountain. Mt Dagmalahorn is the innermost mountain on the east coast of
route across the Skorarheidi Moorland begins or ends in the Furufiord
lowlands. It connects with
the Hrafnsfiord Bay in the Jokulfiords Area.
This was a much frequented route as well as the mountain pass
Svartaskard to the bays Tharalatursfiord and Reykjarfiord and then
onwards to the south in the Strandir District.
River Furufjardara meanders through the lowlands at the end of
the Furufiord Bay. In the
past the farm in the valley was considered one of the most attractive
choices in the Hornstrandir Area. When
the area was left desolate in 1950, three farms had been inhabited in
the valley at the same time. A
few houses, an old prayer chapel (1900) and the emergency shelter of the
National Life Saving Association are still standing.
Arnabaer stood on the bank by the sea a short distance from the prayer
chapel. It was occupied
until 1949 and the rotting remains of the boat Hringur lie in the
landing place Naustir by the sea. Farm
Vagnsbaer stood near Arnabaer and was abandoned in 1950.
The dwelling house was restored and is used during summer.
Farm Baer on the Banks was the third.
It was abandoned in 1944 after the family and workers, who
occupied it, had lived there for 17 years.