times, Gasir was the most important trading post of the North. It is
located just south of the estuaries of River Horga and north of the
farm Gaesir. It also served as a point of departure and arrival for
travellers abroad. This small village is mentioned in sources dating
back to the 13th century and the last time in 1391.
The harbour most probably gradually was filled with alluvium
and the place stopped serving its purpose. According to the documented sources, the
church was blown off its foundations in 1390. Obvious ruins of
houses, the church and the
cemetery finally were too tempting for the archaeologists when funds
were granted for the project. Preliminary research was set off in the
year 2001 and then the excavations started in 2002. The
archaeologists are going to continue their work during the months July
and August 2003 and offer a sightseeing tour through the area in
Icelandic, English and German. They charge Ikr 300.-
(2011) per person for
the tour. For further information look up
www.gasir.is and contact.
In 2007 the future of Gasir was decided. The area is
to be used for a viking village, which is to be constructed
during the next few years.
Icelandic Tourism Research
University of Akureyri
Tel.: +00354 463 0577