the point Gufunes is a part of the most populous quarter of Reykjavik,
Grafarvogur. It is situated
to the southwest and south of the Eidsvik Cove and Geldinganes Headland
and north of Cove Grafarvogur. One
issue of the Book of Settlements explains the name of the point by the
one winter stay of Ketill gufa Orlygsson, and another by the stay of
Gufa Ketilsson. One of the
hypotheses refers to the evaporation of the mud flats of Cove
Grafarvogur by low tide and sunshine.
Gufunes was most probably private property, and around 1150
sources mention a church there, dedicated to The Holy Mother of God.
farmís houses, church and cemetery were located on a mound to the west
of the present office building of the artificial fertilizer factory.
Around 1217 a dispute over the inheritance of Jorunn the rich in
which Snorri Sturluson became involved.
According to the topographical name Akurinn (The Field), south of
the sea cliffs Fjosaklettar, grain was harvested there in the past.
The property probably incorporated a share of the fishing rights
in River Ellidaar in 1235. In
1313 the monastery on the Videy Island became the proprietor of Gufunes
according to sources (1395). Gufunes
became the property of the Danish king after the reformation in 1548.
Shortly after (1752)
Skuli Magnusson moved to
the Island Videy, he
moved the hospital or retirement home from the island to Gufunes, where
it stayed until it was abolished in 1795. Shortly after the turn of the 18th century the
property was sold and poet and justice Bjarni Thorarensen lived there
1816-33. The church was
abolished in 1886 and the earthly remains of the people buried in the
cemetery were moved to a new one a little further to the south when the
construction work of the fertilizer factory commenced in 1978.
the church was abolished it came into the possession of an altar from
farm Ulfarsfell. It was
used as a cupboard at farm Mosfell for a long time until farmer Halfdan
Helgason donated it to the church at Mosfell, where it was at wedding
ceremonies. Eventually it
came into the possession of The Rehabilitation Centre Reykjalundur,
where it was restored and used at services.
The Municipal Treasury of Reykjavik bought the farms Gufunes,
Knutskot and Geldinganes in 1924 and the National Telephone and
Telegraph Company constructed a communications centre there in 1935 for