Hafurbjarnarstadir is located on Gardskagi in the Midnes County. Close
to the property is the great stone wall (Gardur), which fenced off the
Skagata and gave the spit of land its name. There one of the most
remarkable burial sites of the country was discovered. It was examined
in 1868 and some bones and antiquities were removed and taken to the Antiquarian
Museum in Reykjavik. The rest of the site was examined in 1947. At
least 9 graves were discovered and 7 or 8 bodies had been buried there.
The archaeologists also found heaps of bones of dogs and horses. Among
the antiquities discovered there, were arms, jewellery, and probably the
remains of a boat grave.