The King’s House was built in
1907 to accommodate the king of Denmark on his visit to the
Parliamentary Plains. A separate building was constructed to house the
accompanying court and officials.
In 1928 The King’s House was moved to another location
near the lake to become the summer residence of the country’s prime
ministers. It was consumed by fire in 1970 causing the tragic loss of
the prime minister, his wife and a grandchild. Now the only thing to
remind us of this tragedy is a monument on the spot.