is a large grassy area, a former lake bottom, 5-6 km west of Lake
Laugarvatn on the road to The Parliamentary Plains.
This is an ancient route and a place where the ancestors rested
or spent the night en route. In
the lower slopes above the flatlands are caves, which were occupied
early in the 20th century.
The married couple, who lived there temporarily, had a child
during the stay and the father had to step in as a midwife with good
results. They left the
caves in 1922. The caves
also served as shelter for sheep and shepherds during the centuries
and some believed they were haunted.
During cold summers when the haymaking in the lowlands did not
suffice, more hay had to be provided from Laugarvatnsvellir.
The ruins of the ancient sheep pen Grimsnesrettir is at the
edge of the lava field south of the road where it ascends to the west. East of the lava field are grassy flatlands as well,
Beitivellir, where travellers also rested en route to The
They are mentioned quite frequently in the Sagas.
Goose hunters frequented this area during the season.
(Saga trail South Iceland)