Litla-Hraun was an outlying farm from farm Hraun. The prison
was built on the property of farm Haeyri in 1919 as a hospital for the
whole southern part of Iceland. In 1929, the
prison operation took over, and the two properties, Litla and
Stora-Hraun were put under its care, where the inmates worked at farming
until 1970. Five years later the Agricultural Society of Iceland leased
the land for stallion breeding. Since then, the inmates have worked in
the metal and concrete work shops. In 1972 a two storey building was
added to the east of the old one and in 1980 another one to its west.
The latest addition with the tower was inaugurated in 1995, and now the
prison can accommodate 87 inmates. Gudjon Samuelsson designed the
oldest building, The State Architect Office the next two, and the
Architect Office of Finnur and Hilmar the latest one.