This manor and parsonage is situated in the
mouth of the Horgardalur valley on the Eyjafjordur Bay. The
church was built during the period 1865-1867 after a fire, which
consumed the earlier one. The
present church is an exact replica of the former one and no effort was
spared to make it as elaborate as possible.
All the old artifacts of the former churches were lost in the
fire. In 1296, a monastery
was established at Modruvellir. It,
too, burned down in 1316 because of the carelessness and partying of the
monks. Many valuable
manuscripts were lost. After
the reformation in 1550, Modruvellir became the possession of the Danish
kings and many of the sub-governors had their seat there.
Jon Sveinsson, "Nonni", was born there
on November 16th 1857
(†1944). The first
Icelandic minister, Hannes Hafstein (1861-1922) was born there as well.
The first secondary school of the country was
established there in 1880. It was moved to
Akureyri in 1902. The
distance from the capital is 376 km by the Whale Bay tunnel.