Hveradalir (The Hot Spring Valleys) is the common name of the small
valleys to the south and southwest of Mt Reykjafell at the western foot
of the Hellisheidi Moorland, northeast of the Little Coffee Shop on the
main highway. Near he
Skiing Lodge restaurant, above the mouth of Valley Storidalur are
several hot springs after which the area was named.
The lodge was originally built in 1934 by the Skiing Association
of Reykjavik. In 1971 the
municipality of Reykjavik bought it and on January 21st 1991
it burned down.
June 17th 1992 a new lodge was inaugurated.
In the slope above it are to memorials commemorating two chairmen
of the association, Ludvig H. Müller, merchant (1879-1952) and Kristjan
O. Skagfiord (1883-1951). A
Dane, A.C. Hĝyer lived in Hveradalir 1930-40.
He operated mud- and steam baths and was among the first people
in the country to use the hot springs for greenhouse cultivation.