The town Selfoss started developing in 1891, when a suspension bridge was built across
the most voluminous river in Iceland, Olfusa. This bridge collapsed in 1944 and a new
one was constructed immediately. The community was
strengthened in 1930, when the
co-operative shop and the dairy were established.
Selfoss, sometimes referred to as the capital
of the South, received its municipal rights in 1978 and the inhabitants base their
livelihood on services rendered to the agricultural surroundings, small industries,
commerce and tourism. The town is an excellent centre
for day tours to the many attractions in the area. Some salmon
is caught downriver from the aforementioned bridge. All necessary services
for tourists are available in Selfoss. The town is
supplied with natural hot water from bore holes at the nearest farm to
the east, Laugardaelir. Many people visit the town the whole
year round as road no. 1 lies through it.
The distance from
the capital is 57 km.
via Skeid 71
km, Hella 36 km, <Selfoss>
12 km, Eyrarbakki 13 km, Reykjavik 57 km.
Go to Travel Around Iceland