Farm Melar in county
Leirar- and Melasveit was the abode of the Melar
dynasty, the descendants of dynasties of Reykholt and Borg. During
the Melar dynasty period, the Melar Book of Settlements was written.
Four men from Melar were killed in the famous Baejar battle.
Melar became a parsonage rather early. Among the properties
of the Melar church were farms Eystra Sulunes, two of the Skorholt
farms, Akralaekur and England, also a wooded area at the foot of Mt.
Hafnarfjall and the spit of land Seleyri.
Mr. Bjarni Arngrimsson (†1821), a pioneer in horticulture, wrote two
books about it. The great grandfather of president Vigdis
Finnborgdottir, reverend Jakob Finnbogason (†1888), served the Melar
parish. Reverend Helgi Sigurdsson, the last one to serve it,
because the it was united with the Leira parish in 1883. Reverend
Helgi was also one of the founders of The National Museum. The
constant sea erosion claimed both the cemetery and the old farmstead.
Down by the sea are up to thirty metres high hyaloclastite cliffs
containing 12.000 years old shell strata. One of the many ancient
and round court walls of the country is on the property.