This church belongs to the Desjamyri benefice in
the Muli deanery. The church stands on the outskirts of the fishing
hamlet Bakkagerdi, near the
Elf Mound. Earlier churches stood at Desjamyri, but the
present church was consecrated in 1901.
The picture of the interesting
altarpiece depicts Christ delivering the speech on the
mountain from the Elf mound in the local landscape.
was placed above the altar
and the bishop came to consecrate it, he refused, because the picture
was related to the mythology of the country. It has remained
unconsecrated up to this date. It is the work of the country’s most
renowned painter, Johannes Kjarval, who war raised in the area, and his
monument stands by the road just north of the hamlet.
East Iceland Saga Trail