This church belongs to the
Bildudalur benefice in the
During Catholic times, the churches were dedicated to the Holy
Virgin and St. Peter. Selardalur was a church site
and earlier on a parsonage in the westernmost valleys
Ketildalir on the western side of bay Arnarfjordur. An
annexed church was at Stori-Laugardalur on bay
Talknafjordur. The benefice was discontinued and the
parish united with the Otradalur parish (now Bildudalur) in
1907. Stori-Laugardalur was annexed to the church at
The present wooden church was originally
built in 1861. On its centenary it was pulled down and
rebuilt. The church posesses many precious artefacts.
The pulpit is ancient with paintings of Moses and the
prophets. The altarpiece depicting the last supper, is
Danish (1752). The chalice dates back to 1765.
In front of the church is a bolder with three hewn cups.
It is called "The miklmaid stone", and believed to have
served as a sacrificial altar in pagan times.
The church site was first documented in
the 13th century in connection with ownership disputes
between the Catholic Church and the worldly authorities (the
chieftains or the oligarchs), which were not solved until
STRANDIR SAGA TRAILS