church belongs to the Hvanneyri benefice in the Borgarfiord deanery.
During Catholic times the churches were dedicated to the Holy
Virgin, the apostle Peter, the archbishop Thomas and bishop Marteinn.
The present church was built and consecrated in 1905 and is the
property of the Agricultural University and College.
The previous church stood a short distance further west than
the present one. It was
lifted of its foundations in a storm in 1903 and most of it landed on
the spot where the new one was built.
The parishioners refused to finance it and left the
construction to the authorities.
It was decorated and painted on the inside by the artist Greta
Thordarson painted the altarpiece showing Christ in the local
landscape in 1923.