church belongs to the Oddi benefice in the Rangarvellir deanery.
Oddi has been a church site from the earliest days of
Christianity and the construction of the first church was based on
supernatural sightings. Men
were seen flying through the air and one of them threw down a spear.
Saga trail South Iceland)
The church was built were it hit the ground.
During Catholic times, the churches were dedicated to the Holy
Nicolas. The present
church was built in 1924 to seat 100 people.
The artist couple, Jon and Greta Bjornsson, repainted and
decorated it in 1953, before it was reconsecrated.
The silver chalice probably dates back to the 13th
Pic.: Jon Ragnar Bjornsson.