This church belongs to the
Mosfell benefice of the Arnes deanery. It was built on the same spot
as the ancient churches on a headland entering the western part of the
artificial Lake Ulfljotsvatn in 1914. The relatively small wooden
structure’s proportionally rather large steeple was added in 1924.
The catholic churches were dedicated to Holy Mary mother of Christ
and were annexed to the church in the parliamentary plains, Thingvellir. Now the church is served by the Reverend at Mosfell in the
In 1929-33 the Reykjavik Energy Authority purchased the property
Ulfljotsvatn to acquire the water rights for the power stations on River
Sog. The area of the property
is about 1,400 hectares. The
company possesses four other abandoned farms in the area for the
exploitation of the energy resources
of the area.
Saga trail South Iceland)