This museum is a part of the Municipal History Museum. Its main
function is to bring into perspective the way of living, the working
conditions and pastime of the people of Reykjavik in the past. The museum
also keeps and registers old houses, relics and antiquities. In 1957 the
town council decided to open a park with a collection of old houses of
cultural value for the capital. The museum was opened the same summer.
Most of the houses on the museum grounds were removed from the old centre
of Reykjavik and their number is constantly growing. They are quite
interesting, both outside and inside. The museum grounds can be divided
into five areas:
On the Square the
largest houses, two storied wooden houses from the latter part of the 19th
century and the beginning of the 20th, are standing.
displays smaller houses, industrial buildings and dwellings of common
workers, from the 19th and 20th centuries.
In the Harbour area
are two large and black commercial houses from the trading post Vopnafiord
in the Northeast, a toy collection and a lecture hall.
consists of the old farm, Arbaer, and other buildings connected with
farming and rural communities.
The Machine Museum
contains among other things the country's first steam
locomotive, the steam roller Briet, old fire engines etc.
The Arbaer Museum is open during the summer months, but
receives school classes and groups the whole year round upon
request. The museum has organized guided cultural walks
through the Ellidaar valley during summer.
Museume is open June, July and August.