This church belongs to the Desjamyri benefice in the Muli deanery. The church stands on the outskirts of the fishing hamlet Bakkagerdi, near the Elf Mound. Earlier churches stood at Desjamyri, but the present church was consecrated in 1901.
The picture of the interesting altarpiece depicts Christ delivering the speech on the mountain from the Elf mound in the local landscape. When it was placed above the altar and the bishop came to consecrate it, he refused, because the picture was related to the mythology of the country. It has remained unconsecrated up to this date. It is the work of the country’s most renowned painter, Johannes Kjarval, who war raised in the area, and his monument stands by the road just north of the hamlet.
Photo Credit: Visit East Iceland