Farm Breidabolstadur is a church site and a parsonage in County Vesturhop. Catholic churches there were dedicated to the Holy Olaf, King of Norway. The churches of Vesturhopsholar, Tjorn, and Vididalstunga were annexed. The present church at Breidabolstadur was consecrated in 1893. At the turn of the 11th century Haflidi Masson resided there. He performed the first documentation in the country by putting the law of the land into writing in 1117. At the same time, he and other wise men were supposed to suggest abolishion of outdated law and suggest reforms and new law. The Icelandic Bar Association placed and unveiled a monument of this documentaion on the 1,100 anniversary of the habitation of the country in 1974.
The Law Writer, Haflidi Masson, had a conflict with farmer of Stadarholl in the Saurbaer County. This dispute led to an incident in the Parliamentary Plains, where the farmer (Thorgils Oddson) pulled his sword and cut three fingers of Haflidi’s hand. Haflidi demanded a large amount of money for his fingers and had his way. Priest Skafti Thorarinsson of Mosfell could not help saying, that his whole body would be expensive compared to his fingers.
Photo Credit: Jóna Þórunn