Breidavik is an abandoned farm and was a parsonage in the past. It is in the close vicinity of one of the largest most magnificent bird cliffs in the world (Latrabjarg) and the westernmost point of Europe. In the late middle ages, there was only a chapel there until 1824, when it became the parish church, served by the reverend at Saudlauksdalur.
The present church was built in the year 1900. During the period 1954-1979, Breidavik served as a pedagogic centre for boys. During the summer, it turns into a guesthouse. The Breidavik area, as other bays and coves of the Northwest, served as a large fishing outfit for open sail- and rowing boats as quite a few ruins of fishermen’s huts bear witness to.
At the farm Hnjotur, en route to Breidavik, there is an unique, privately operated aeronautical and folk museum. The late farmer there and curatior, collected artefacts and memoriabilia during his lifetime, especially connected to the Icelandic aeronautical history. To crown his efforts, one of the items in the museum’s possession, is an old Russian Antonov biplane in prime condition.
Latrabjarg is a 14 km long, sheer cliff with an east-west direction on the northern coastline of Iceland’s second largest bay, Breidafjordur. The part of it called Bjargtangar is the westernmost part of Iceland, and its highest elevation is 444 metres. The Azore Islands are, however, the westernmost part of Europe. It is highly interesting to walk carefully along its brink to watch the myriad of birds, the seals on the skerries down below, and the occasional whales swimming by.
For centuries, brave men were roped down the cliffs during the breeding season of the avifauna to collect eggs, which were a regular part of the diet along with the birds themselves. Sometimes as much as 40.000 eggs and 36.000 birds were taken.
Just before Christmas 1947 the miraculous rescue of the crew of the British trawler Dhoon, which ran aground at the bottom of the cliffs was carried out successfully, and will be remembered as the most difficult rescue operation carried out up to this date.
The distance from the capital is about 347 km via Stykkisholmur and across the Breidafiord Bay with the car ferry Baldur to Brjanslaekur.