oldest church of the Faeroe Islands is situated in the Hvalvik village.
It was built of wood in 1829 and does not rest on stone
foundations. Its architecture is typically Faeroese. The construction
material was obtained from a ship, which ran aground near Saksun in 1828.
Its pulpit dates back to 1609 and was originally in the church in
Thorshofn. The village was
very isolated in the past and most of the inhabitants moved, leaving very
few nowadays. The Folk’s
Museum Dufugardur depicts clearly the living conditions and traditions of
the Faeroese people in the past. The
outer walls of this museum are built with stones and the roof is covered
with sod. It is a typical
farmhouse, both indoors and outdoors.
It stood little altered from its construction in the late Middle
Ages until the 19th century. The small village Straumnes in the proximity
Hvalvik is an independent community.
In the estuary of river Stora, between the two villages, are quite
a few good fishing spots. When people are travelling in this region, a
detour of 10 km to the only village in the northeast corner of Island
Straumey, Saksun. The route there takes you through the Saksun Valley, which is
decorated with waterfalls and an excellent trout and char fishing lake.