“Floaaveitan” (irrigation) was build in the years 1918-1927 . It covered
meadows of size of 12.000 hectares. This remarkable machine, which was
imported for the project, was named "Járnbitagrýður". She dug ditches that
were 11 meters wide and 5 meters deep. One very strange man, Gudbrandur
Jonsson, called “the professor”, who a was Catholic went for a meeting
with Pope Pius. Pope didn’t know much about Iceland but had received news
of this remarkable project, the “Flóaáveitan”.
“Floaaveitan” is an irrigation canals that run through the entire county of Flói or from river Ölfusá in the west to the river Thorsa in the east. This great project of its time consisted of a 300 km long trenches that were largely digged by shovels and 900 km of flood embankments. “Floaaveitan” with its irrigation made a major transition in farming and production in the region. The construction of the irrigation began in 1922 and the opened for operation in 1927. Still today does it play an important role in water reservoir in the Floa-area. The input irrigation is at Hvita, were an information board is located. To the east of the inlet is a marked trail (4.4 km walk, the other way).
King Christian X and Alexandra Queen arrived for a visit Iceland in 1926
and almost no roads existed in Iceland; they strongly asked from their
host, to arrange travel all the way east to the flood portal at “Brunstadaflot”,
to see this impressive structures which great stories had been told about
|TIL BAKA Nat.is - pósthólf 8593, 108 Reykjavik- sími: 898-0355 - email@example.com- um okkur - heimildir HEIM|