Glerarhverfi is a community which started developing on the northern side of river Glera in the second half of the 19th century. The village developed gradually and was called The Glera Village. It was just outside the old town limits which ended at the river.
Poor people built houses for themselves and until 1930 most of the houses were made from turf and sod, which had been prohibited within the town limits since 1905. The Glera Village was incorporated into Akureyri in 1955 and became known as The Glera District. Even today, this part of town is referred to as „The Village”.