GOLF CLUB HVERAGERDI
The present horticultural and greenhouse town Hveragerdi started developing in 1902, when a carding factory was built by the waterfall Reykjafoss. At that time it was a part of Olfus County. The natural thermal area in the centre of town was harnessed for the heating of greenhouses and dwellings. Nowhere else in the country are there more greenhouses in one spot than in Hveragerdi. Many people living in the capital area make weekend trips to the town to buy flowers, tomatoes, cucumbers and other vegetables. The farmers have prolonged the growing period with artificial lightning and thus limited the need for import of these products during winter.