Thorlakshofn was named after the patron saint of the
country. It has one of two existing harbours of the
south coast. The other one
is the estuary harbour of the town Hofn in the Southeast.
Thorlakshofn is the export harbour for the Southwestern Lowlands and
the harbour for the Westman Islands' car ferry. The most important export
products are fish products and rhyolite pumice. The
town is among the most important fishing and fish processing towns of the
golf clubs in Iceland
established were The Golf Club of Iceland in 1934 and the G.C.
of the Westman Islands in 1938. The Icelandic
Golf Association was established in 1942 and since then the clubs have
increased in number.