is a village on the Eirik’s Bay, where the Royal Danish Trading Company
established its centre for seal hunting in 1880.
Fishing started there in 1914, an abattoir was built there in 1946,
and canning of prawns started in 1950.
The first freezing plant for fish products was built in 1959.
Narssaq is the main centre of trade in this part of the country.
It is a modern village with electricity, running water the whole
year round, a cinema, fire brigade, the best selection of goods, health
care centre, a clergyman, two schools, printing works, a kindergarten
and a police station. Five
kilometres from the village uranium was discovered and processed for
several years in the seventies.
the granite cliffs, west of the village, kayaks, made the same way they
were made in the Stone Age, can be seen.
Dangerous icebergs, reflecting the sunlight, sail along the
coastline. The Greenlanders
now live in similar houses as people in other civilized parts of the
world, and in Narssaq up to five storeys high apartment houses have been