The King’s House was built in 1907 to accommodate the king of Denmark on his visit to the Parliamentary Plains. A separate building was constructed to house the accompanying court and officials.
(Saga trail South Iceland)
In 1928 The King’s House was moved to another location near the lake to become the summer residence of the country’s prime ministers. It was consumed by fire in 1970 causing the tragic loss of the prime minister, his wife and a grandchild. Now the only thing to remind us of this tragedy is a monument on the spot.