Down below the farm Reykir on The Hruta Bay is a spit of land called Reykjatangi. Several buildings are situated there, which belong to the abandoned boarding school, a swimming pool, and the two districts’ museum. Just above the spit of land is a natural hot spring supplying hot water for house heating and the swimming pool.
Nowadays the school buildings are used as a summer hotel. In the deposits, the geyserites, around the hot spring, fossils of sea shells from earlier stages of the geological history of the can be found.
The Reykir Folk Museum is situated on a spit of land protruding into the Hruta Bay along with the buildings of the boarding school, which serves as a summer hotel, ideal for a brief stopover on a long journey. The Districts Strandir and The West Huna Area established the museum. The people of the Huna Bay Area had shared a similar existence during the centuries and the societies of both districts in the capital introduced the idea of a common museum for both in the early fifties. In the late sixties a number of artefacts had been collected and the museum was officially opened on July 9th 1967. The National Museum of Iceland had already built a house for the shark fishing boat Ofeigur. This boat was built in 1875 and used every winter for shark fishing until 1915. In 1916 the last open boat was used for this purpose in the Strandir district. The museum also depicts an exact replica of the so-called Badstofa, the eating, sleeping and working quarters of the farm’s people in the past. The thermal activity of the Reykir area is exploited for the house heating and a swimming pool. The school buildings at Reykir were used as a summer hotel, but nowadays mainly for travelling school children.
Reykir museum is open:
1. June – 31. August. 10:00-18:00 daily
Winter acording to agreement