This sod church belongs to the Laugaland benefice of the Eyjafiord deanery. Saurbaer has been a church site from ancient times.
Before and after the year 1200 it was also the site of a monastery for a few decades. Catholic churches there were dedicated to St. Cecilia and St. Nicholas. The parish of Saurbaer was abolished in 1907, but was the seat of the reverend until 1931. It was united with the parish of Grund.
The present church was built in 1858 and is one of the few remaining sod-churches of this country under the care of the National Museum. The inside of the church is completely timber-lined. It seats 60 people.
Photo Credit: Joaoleitao