Skrudur is a small tree park, established shortly after the turn of the 19th century in the proximity of the parsonage Nupur on the Dyrafiord Bay. Rev. Sigtryggur Gudlaugsson planted trees there as well as being a pioneer in growing vegetables in the country at the same time. His goal was to use this garden in connection with the school for young boys as a part of the curriculum. The official date of its establishment is August 7th 1909, a few years after it was started, to commemorate the first successful attempt at growing potatoes in the Westfiord Area on the suggestion of Rev. Bjorn Halldorsson of Saudlauksdalur.
The park was properly maintained and looked after until 1980, when it fell into disrepair for a dozen of years. In 1992 a committee was elected to see to the restoration of the small park and secure its future maintenance. In 1996 it was officially opened again and the memorial of Rev. Sigtryggur and his wife, Hjaltlina Gudjonsdottir, was unveiled.
Photo Credit: Visit Westfjords