old prison, on street Skolavordustigur, was built in
1874. Originally it also served as a courthouse
and housed 23 inmates. In 1989 the number
of cells was reduced to 19 and nowadays they are 16, thereof
two isolition cells. It is the only prison built as
such in the country and has been used for a period of 130
years (2004). It is a two story building with a
basement, which is not used any more. The prison cells
are on the ground floor as well as the rooms of the wardens.
It contains no recreational facilities for inmates, but
behind it is an open recreational area.
The old prison was closed 2016
SOUTHWEST ICELAND SAGA TRAILS