ICELAND TRAVEL GUIDE
How to get there
is the largest of the Western Islands on the Breiðafjordur
bay. Almost 40 smaller islands belong to Flatey. It has been a trading
post since the middle ages. A monastery was established there in 1172.
It was the centre of culture and art in the middle of the 19th century.
It is one of three islands on the
occupied the whole year round.
The church is served from the parsonage at
Reykholar. It was built in 1926 and recently renovated and decorated by the artist
Baltasar. A part of the island has been a nature reserve and wild life
sanctuary since 1975. Various services are rendered to the travellers on the
island. It is well worth
spending some time there to take in all the attractions. The ferry Baldur stops
over at the island twice a day during summer on its way between Stykkisholmur