TRAVEL GUIDE ICELAND NORTH
Grenivik is a village in the Grytubakki Parish on the eastern
shores of the Eyjafjordur Bay, just north of the mt pass Dalsmynni.
According to the Book of Settlements,
Thormodur the Strong settled this area. Mt Kaldbakur with
its eternal snow patches rises in its background and to its south is the
promontory Thengilhofdi. The
lowland further south on the estuary of River Fnjoska is a fertile,
agricultural area. East of
the village is a group of hillocks, old moraines, which are reminders of
the ice age. The settlement
of Grenivik began in 1910-1920 and in 1935 15-20 houses had been built. Seasonal unemployment during winter was the way of life,
mainly because of the poor harbour conditions.
In the past the narrow lowland strip to the north of the
village was scattered with sustenance farms, where people lived of the
land and the sea. In the
unsuccessful experiments with fish-liver processing were
carried out. The harbour was
improved in 1965 and the number of inhabitants started increasing.
The Cooperative Society operated an abattoir in Grenivik from 1916
and a grocery shop from 1930.
The reverend of Laufas serves the Grenivik Parish.
North Iceland Saga Trail
108 km. via Dalsmynni <Grenivik>