Grotta is the the point of the Seltjorn Peninsula of which the capital
comprises the greatest part.
In earlier times a farm occupied the island and the lighthouse
standing there was built in 1897.
It was restored thoroughly in 1947 and has been maintained well
There were fishing outfits on the island as well, when the
fisheries were based on open rowing boats.
The volunteer rescue corps of the Seltjarnarnes community was
named after one of the caretakers of the lighthouse, Albert
island is connected to the mainland by an isthmus, which is flooded
during high tides, and many people walk across at low tides to enjoy the
variety of the bird life and an occasional seal nearby.
The land has been and still is subsiding rather quickly and those
who have lived in the community for a long time have
witnessed the gradual advance of the sea.
In the immediate vicinity of the island is a popular golf course
and a beacon for one of the runways of the
SOUTHWEST ICELAND SAGA TRAILS