Island Seley is a 21 m high, vegetated rocky island 4,6 km (2½ nautical
miles) off the mouth of the Reydarfjordur Bay.
Several skerries are to its north and south.
The island belonged to the farm Holmar and no one has ever had
permanent residence there. Like
elsewhere in the country, such outlying islands and coastal areas, the
fishermen had their outfits there during the fishing seasons.
mainly concentrated on fishing shark, halibut and ray. During bad spells. they practiced all kinds of games, one of
which was testing their strength on three differently heavy stones they
called the Ram, the Ewe and the Lamb.
According to a legend, 13 people from the Reydarfjordur area escaped encountering
the Algerian buccaneers, who attacked several places, especially in the
East and West in 1627.
East Iceland Saga Trail