is located between the two bays Hamarsfjordur and Breiddalsvik, about 20 km long
and 2-5 km wide.
The most prominent mountain on the bay is Mt Bulandstindur, just
west of the village Djupivogur on the southern side.
The mouth of the bay is dotted with islets and skerries, but most
oft the rest is clear.
Oceanic currents are very evident in the bay.
The southern shoreline is too sheer for farming, but the northern
one is divided between a few farms along the whole shoreline.
The mountains on the northern side are decorated with sharp and
beautiful ridges and pinnacles and rhyolite intrusions are frequent and
One of the rhyolitic sub-species is ignimbrite.
It is greenish in colour and is created during violent,
A thick, narrow layer of ignimbrite can be traced down the
mountain slopes into the sea on the northern side of the bay.
Farm Berufjordur is situated at the end of the bay.
In earlier times it was a parsonage and during catholic times the
churches were dedicated to St. Olaf, the king of Norway.
The church at Berunes was annexed.
The present church at farm Berufiord was built in 1874.
of the few outstanding scholars of the country, Eirikur Magnusson
(1833-1913), born at the farm Berufiord, became a librarian in
He published quite a few books and translated Shakespeare’s
Storm (1885), the Icelandic Lilja Poetry (1870) and Legends of Iceland
(1864-66) among other works.
He and William Morris also translated a few of the Icelandic
Sagas into English.
He was a true patriot and wrote and published many pamphlets on
important national issues.
ancient route over the mountains at the end of the bay down into the
Landslide Valley (Skriddalur) called Oxi (The Axe) is passable now by
all vehicles and shortens the way to and from the Egilsstadir town by
several dozens of kilometres.
Another popular bridle path of the past connected the Berufjordur
area with the Wide Valley (Breiddalur) in the north.
In 1951 an area of about 7 ha was fenced off for forestation
name of the bay and a few other spots are derived from the name of the
According to the legend, she, her husband Soti and their
household went to a party in the Fljot Valley (near the present
Egilsstadir town) one winter.
On their way back, they were caught in a snowstorm and everybody
perished en route except Bera, who let her horse find the way home.
When they saw the houses, the horse galloped through the stable
door and broke Bera’s neck.
1627, Algerian buccaneers first arrived in the East.
They killed, robbed and burned down the farm at Berufjordur before
heading west along the south coast.
They picked up about 240 people from the Westman Islands for the
slave market at home and at last they attempted to attack the abode of
the governor in the Southwest without success.
East Iceland Saga Trail