Bjarnarhofn is an old
estate at the foot of the
freestanding Mt Bjarnarhafnarfjall (575 m) on
the Hraunfjordur Bay. During Catholic times the churches there
were dedicated to St. Nicolas. The present church was consecrated in
1857. It is the property of the farmer and his family,
its home chapel and has no other
Bjorn austraeni Ketilsson built his farm there. His sister Aud
djupudga and brother Helgi bjola also settled in the West at the same
time. Bjorn stuck to the Pagan religion, whereas his sister and
brother had been baptized. Three doctors of medicine between 1740 and
1840 occupied Bjarnarhofn.
It is quite interesting to make a detour to
Bjarnarhofn to taste the cured shark, the shark liver oil, and
stockfish and peek at the old church, the pride of the farmer.
Picture: Farmer Hildibrandur holding pieces of
the cured shark.
West Iceland Saga