Eidar is a former manor and later a primary- and
secondary boarding school for decades. Shortly before the turn of the
last century the school buildings were taken over by the grammar
school of Egilsstadir. At the turn of the last century the school was
abolished and the new owners of Eidar put forward plans for a cultural
centre. During the summer the buildings are
used as a hotel.
Eidar also is a church site and
during catholic times, the churches were dedicated to the Holy Virgin.
The present church was built in 1887. In 1883, an agricultural college
was established at Eidar.
until 1917, and two years later, the primary- and secondary
school took over. In 1959, it became a boarding school.
The Agricultural Federation of
Eastern Iceland operated a research centre there from 1905 to 1943.
Near Eidar is a large relay station for the radio and ball shaped
buildings containing instruments to research the northern lights
(aurora borealis). Eidar also has a swimming pool, a sports field, and
an open-air stage, frequently used during summer.
Lake Eidavatn is considered a nice trout and char
fishing lake. According to the Droplaugarsona Saga, the surrounding
area of Eidar was so well wooded, that it was impossible to see any
visitors coming until they knocked on the door. The only remnants of
these woods are a few trees on the islet Eidaholmi. In 1938-39 a 500
ha area was fenced off to protect the few trees left and planted trees
in the future.
Iceland saga Trail