is a farm on the northern side of the Berufjordur Bay.
It is situated on a cove by the same name, where there was a
trading post and a harbour in the past.
The ruins of the houses were declared inviolate and some research
has been carried out there.
One of the first missionaries to visit Iceland before
Christianity was adopted was a priest by the name of Thangbrandur.
He was a German, who became the priest of the Royal Court of
Norway under king Olafur Tryggvason, who sent him to Iceland to
Christianize the population.
He is described as a violent person, who carried the crucifix in
one hand and the sword in the other.
annals of the 14th and 15th centuries mention the
Gautavik Cove harbour as the main trading post of East
German tradesmen of the Hansa League were based there until they
moved across the bay in the latter part of the 16th
century, first to the Fuluvik Cove and then to Cove
A landslide hit the farm Gautavik in the summer of 1792 and the
family was killed.