Grimsstadir and farm Modrudalur are the highest lying farms of the
country. The farm was on the main route between the northern and
eastern parts of the country, and its owners were obliged to ferry the
travellers across River Jokulsa a Fjollum agains payment until the
bridge was built in 1947. In earlier times, the farm stood 7 km further
north, but was moved because of the increasing erosion and sandstorms.
At the turn of the 20th century a new part of the ring road (#1) was
opened further south. The crossing of the road leading to Waterfall
Dettifoss still remains in its immetiate vicinity. The farm is located
east of River Jokulsa, about 45 km from Lake Myvatn. During Catholic
times, a prayer chapel stood at Grimsstadir, and it has long been a
weather observation station.
North Iceland Saga Trail