Hjardarholt Dalir District,

More About Iceland


HJARDARHOLT
.

.

Buses-Flights
Ferries-Car rentals

Hjardarholt is a farm and was a parsonage until the 20th century in the Laxa Valley in the Dalir District.  Nowadays the Reverend, serving four parishes, lives in the village Budardalur.  Catholic churches at Hjardarholt were dedicated to John the Baptist.  The present church was consecrated in 1904.  It is a wooden cross-church, covered with corrugated iron, and the smallest of such churches designed by architect Rognvaldur Olafsson, who became the Architect of State.  Its interior has been altered considerably.  Among the valuable assets of the church is a carved, wooden baptismal and its silver bowl (1964).

According to the Laxdaela Saga, Olafur Pa lived at Hjardarholt and his son, Kjartan, the most important personality of the Saga, was born there.

A man named Viga-Hrappur Sumarlidason lived there, when the farm was called Hrappsstadir.  After his death and burial, he did not lie still and was a menace and dangerous.  The farm was abandoned until Olafur Pa built his farm there.  Viga-Hrappur was still at large and continued his misdemeanours until Olafur Pa exhumed his body, burnt it and spread his ashes out at sea.

West Iceland Saga Trail


BACK               Nat.is - Box 8593 108 Reykjavik- tel.: +354-898-0355 - nat@nat.is - about us - sources               HOME