is a farm hamlet, church site and a former parsonage in the Floi County.
Catholic churches there were dedicated to the Holy Mother and St
Thorlakur, the only Icelandic saint (canonized in 1988).
Annexed churches were at Stokkseyri and Villingaholt.
The parish was abolished in 1907 and united with Stokkseyri.
The present church was consecrated in 1909.
hamlet also consists of the cultural community centre “Felagslundur”
(1949) and a primary school.
Nearby is a small lake, where the rare amphibious bistort (Polygonum
It has only been discovered near the farm Hofgardar on the
Snaefell’s Peninsula in the West.
The first settler at Gaulverjabaer was Loftur Ormsson, who came
from the Gaular County in Norway, hence the name of the place.
Bishop Arni Helgason and advocate Haukur Erlendsson initiated the
establishment of a hospital for educated men at Gaulverjabaer around the
turn of the 13th century.
(Saga trail South Iceland)