is the westernmost bay of the Jokulfiord Area.
It is framed with steep screes and precipitous cliffs and the
lowland stripes are very limited.
On the eastern side of its mouth is Mt Lasafjall and to the
west is Mt Nongilsfjall. The
abandoned farm Sletta is on the western side, quite some distance from
the mouth and a lighthouse nearby.
In the middle of the bay, on the western side, are two spits of
land, Stekkeyri and Hesteyri. The
Norwegian firm Brodrene Bull built its whaling station Hekla there in
1894 and the area was commonly called Heklueyri after that.
The hamlet Hesteyri started developing in connection with those
activities and when the Norwegians moved their operation to the
eastern part of the country, the factory was changed to accommodate
herring fisheries came to an abrupt end in 1940 and the people started
seeking livelihood elsewhere until the hamlet stood totally abandoned
in 1952. The ruins of the
factory are still very prominent and 12 houses are still maintained as
trading company Asgeirsverzlun in Isafiord opened a branch in Hesteyri
after it became an authorized trading post in 1881.
Up in the slopes beyond the hamlet, a rare species of ferns,
parsley fern (Cryptogramma crispa), was discovered.
The increased activities attracted more and more people until
the number of inhabitants had reached 80.
The fisheries were operated with small, mainly six oared, open
boats in the beginning and later motorized vessels took over.
Hesteyri was the seat of a physician, the assembly place of the
county and the centre for telecommunications during the last few years
of its existence. Nowadays
travellers in the area during summer are offered board and lodgings
(sleeping bags) and kitchen facilities.
Hesteyri over the Kjaransvik Pass.
The route lies along the edge of Innri-Hesteyrarbrun and then
follows the cairns to the pass. It
is also possible to turn off on the way and proceed through the
Fljotsskard Pass to Cove Fljotavik.
easy route lies up the Hesteyri Valley along River Hesteyri to Latrar
on Cove Adalvik.
hillock Hofdi offers a good view over the abandoned hamlet and its
route over the so-called Gotuhjalli along the coast at the foot of Mt
Nongilsfjall leads to Eyrar and from there a clear path continues over
the Stadarheidi Moorland to the abandoned farm Saebol on Cove Adalvik.
STRANDIR SAGA TRAILS