Fjallasveit, is the name of the area to the east of River Jokulsa a
Fjollum to the north of the present road # 1. It extends east to the
mountain ranges Dimmifjallgardur and Haugsoraefi (1000 m).
The first farm
was built there in the 14th century (Holl) and later the
southernmost one, which is the only inhabited one nowadays,
Grimsstadir. In the middle of the 19th century quite a few
new farms were built in the area, and in 1859 approximately 100 people
lived in the community.
The families, who
lived there had to their necessities over a 100 km long bridle path to
the trading post at Vopnafiordur (45 km between the closest farms). The
quality of the smoked lamb from this area was highly appreciated, but
because of overgrazing and the consequent erosion the farming came to an
North Iceland Saga Trail
During the last few decades much has been done successfully
to reclaim the area and stop the erosion. During summer the road
through this area is much frequented by those who want to see Europe’s
mightiest waterfall, Dettifoss. It is also accessible from the
western side of the river.